Visa, Dorms and Health Insurance


 Student Visas

• Students from the European Union (1), the EEC (2) and Switzerland
Citizens from the European Union (1), the EEC (2) and Switzerland are exempted from the visa procedure. You can enter and stay in France with a national identity card or a valid passport.
For a stay greater than 3 months and for students from Romania and Bulgaria wishing to work in France, they will need to request a residence permit (carte de séjour). To obtain it, please contact the International Office of the university or school where you are enrolled.
(1) Germany – Austria – Belgium – Denmark – Spain – Finland – Greece – Ireland – Italy – Luxembourg – The Netherlands – Portugal – The United Kingdom – Sweden – Estonia – Latvia – Lithuania – Poland – Czech Republic – Slovakia – Slovenia –Hungary – Malta – Cyprus – Romania – Bulgaria
(2) UE members + Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway

Students from outside the European Union
Before leaving your country, you must contact the French Consulate of your country to obtain a long stay visa (stay in France for more than 3 months). A tourist visa is not enough and will lead to a refusal, followed by an expulsion after 3 months, and no recognition of the credits and diplomas obtained.
If you are coming for the European Summer Program, as the program is shorter than 3 months, most students will not need a visa but please check with for visa requirement for your home country.
For further information on visa requirement, you may also visit CampusFrance local office in your country.

        For students of the following nationalities  :
       Algeria –Argentina – Benin – Brazil – Burkina Faso – Cameroun - Chili – China – Colombia – Comoros - Congo Brazzaville – Egypt - Gabon – Guinea – Ivory Coast –  India – Indonesia -  Iran  - Japan - Lebanon – Madagascar  – Mali – Mauritania - Mauritius – Mexico – Morocco –  Peru - Russia – Senegal – South Korea – Syria – Taiwan  - Togo - Tunisia –  Turkey – United States – Vietnam

An online application procedure has been set up by the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This procedure must be followed and is mandatory to obtain a student visa.

More information : Please contact Campus France in your home country



For students from any other nationality:

Please check with the French Consulate which is the closest to your home. It will give the process and the list of required documents to get a visa.

Students need to have received Universite Catholique de Lille acceptance letter (lettre d'invitation) before starting the visa application (the original letter is sent to the home university). A tourist visa is not sufficient and students will face being expelled from France after 3 months and any diplomas or credits obtained will not be recognised.


Useful links:
- CampusFrance website :
- the list of France's embassies and consulates abroad :

- list of members of the Consular Corps of Lille
- OFII website :

• On arrival, you need to have your passport stamped with the date of your arrival by the Police in charge of the border. If you come in France through a Schengen country, the stamp should be put on your passport by the authorities of the country you arrive in first.
For students with visa CESEDA R.311-3 6° (Visa Long Séjour Valant Titre de Séjour) : you will have to validate it by OFII (Office Français de l'Immigration et de l'Intégration). Please don't forget to bring with you the document provided by the French Consulate: "Visa de Long Séjour - Demande d'attestation OFII". Please contact the International Office of your host school or faculty. You will be helped to process the validation of your visa.

For students with visa "carte de séjour à solliciter": you will have to apply for a resident permit (carte de séjour). Please contact the International Office of your host school or faculty. You will be helped to apply for a Carte de Séjour.

For students with visa "Dispense temporaire": there is no administrative procedure to do after your arrival in France.



 University Dorms

It is very difficult to find housing upon arrival in Lille, so we strongly recommend making sure that you have housing before your arrival in France. For housing during your studies at Universite Catholique de Lille, 2 options:
Stay in a university dorm: If you wish to book a room in a university dorm, kindly note that all the housing information (list of dorms, description, rent price, housing application procedure, etc.) is available on the website of AEU (Housing Office) :  (English version available/please click on the British flag)
Information and Contact : Service Logement  (Housing Office)  - A.E.U Association d’Entraide Universitaire, 47 Boulevard Vauban (second floor) - Lille - Tel : +33 (0)320 159 778 - E-mail : – Website :– Facebook:, Open from Monday to Friday : 8.30 am to 6.00 pm
Recommended housing application deadlines:
For a student exchange beginning in August/September (Fall semester), housing applications are open from January 1. It is recommended to appy by April 30
For a student exchange beginning in January (Spring semester), housing application are open from September 15 . It is recommended to apply by October 30
Download the registration procedure.

Check our Frequently Asked Questions on Housing for more details.


According to French law, rentals run for 1 year and are due:
- from August 1st to July 31st (student exchange for Fall semester or academic year) even if the students arrive later in September,
- or from January 1st to December 31st (student exchange for Spring Semester) even if the students arrive later in February.
.  Leaving your dorm before the date of expiration of your rental contract: 1 month before leaving your dorm, students must inform by e-mail the Housing Office :
Students may consult as well the  Housing Frequently Asked Questions available on this page (see “Housing” section).


To note : our dorms are mixed and have both male and female in the same corridor.

Other housing options exist. For more information, see section "Accommodation in Lille" on our "Practical Information for Your Stay in Lille" webpage.

These are some websites for students wishing to find  housing by themselves : 

A guide of Housing in Lille (in French) is available on this website



 Health Insurance



. For students under 28 years: Even if students come to France with your own health insurance, the French Government requires non European Union students (EU) under 28 years old and spending more than 3 months in France to purchase the French health insurance, called “Sécurité Sociale”.
The amount is about 217 Euros/Academic year. The annual premium is to be paid for the entire academic year no matter when students come to France. It is valid from October 1, 2017 to September 30, 2018.
It refunds about 70 % of medical costs.
On your arrival, please contact the International Office of your host school or faculty in order to fill in the appropriate forms
For further information : (“Soins et remboursements”)


Important: Sécurité sociale doesn’t cover you if you travel outside France, in case of repatriation and for civil liability.


To note : students born on or after 31 August 1997 have to be registered through the French health insurance but they are exempt from the fee. Payment of fees are required for students aged 20 years or over.

. For students over 28 years old, please bring with you proof of your health insurance coverage.

Students have the option of getting complementary financial cover to obtain better refunds.
This cover is distinct from the affiliation to Sécurité Sociale. There are several complementary student insurance companies. Most of the students from UCL take out the SMENO:
The costs vary depending on the insurance company and the option chosen
Another supplementary student insurance company :

 Scholarships & financial aid


Universite Catholique de Lille does not deliver any grants.
There are also 3 types of grants issued to international students:

• Grants provided by the French Government :
They are distributed by the French cultural services abroad (embassies, consulates and the French Alliance).
The “Centre National des Oeuvres Universitaires et Scolaires” (CNOUS) manages the grants distributed by the French Government to foreign students as well as the grants given by foreign governments who have signed reciprocal agreements.
The CNOUS and EGIDE are the French organizations which manage foreign students’ grants.
CNOUS website:
EGIDE website:
Grants delivered by the government of your home country.
In that case, you will have to get in touch with the Department of Education in your home country. You can also get information from your home university. The amount of financial aid granted is variable and it is perhaps not enough for all your expenditure. That is why it is better to be sure before coming to France that you can live there without any financial difficulties.

Some grants are distributed by international organizations or non governmental organizations.
A website about possible sources of funds:
Sources : Centre National de Ressources de Lille – CIO de la Madeleine

Financial Aid for Housing
For a stay of more than 3 months in the same accommodation, it is possible to get a rent rebate - ALS (Allocation Logement Social).
ALS is an allowance paid by the “Caisse d’Allocations Familiales” (CAF). Its aim is to help students pay for their accommodation. If you reserve a room in a university hall of residence, please ask for the ALS application form from the Housing Office (A.E.U.)
The ALS refunds approximately 92 € per month from the second month. The allowance is given directly to the student, and the university is not responsible for any part of the process.

Find more information to prepare your stay in Lille on this webpage.


Vidéo : Un campus à vivre
Notre chaîne Youtube